The ESP prosthetic disc is the result of 10 years of collaborative research work at the Hôpital Pitié Salpêtrière in Paris, the French Atomic Energy Commission (CEA) and the Université Paris VI, and was driven by the Oséo Innovation contest in France.
The ESP prosthetic consists of two titanium alloy plates and an elastomer pad. The pins on the outer surfaces of the plates facilitate primary fixation.
The ESP prosthetic disc restores the mechanical properties of the intervertebral disc and in particular its damping properties.
Over 10 years of research and development
• 10 years of follow up (since 2004)
• 6° of freedom
• Primary stability thanks to spikes allowing the prosthesis to be
implanted anteriorly as well as antero-lateraly and to face difficult soft
• Adaptive center of rotation
• No surface bearing for an increased lifetime
• Improved stability
• Shock absorbing
• Designed to fit and restore patient lordosis
The development of the ESP disc range originally came from Professor Roy Camille, from La Pitié Salpétrière Teaching Hospital in Paris (France). After inventing the pedicle screw which became the gold standard for Spine fusions, Pr. Roy Camille started to work on analysing the natural disc properties and designed a prosthesis to restore these.
The LP-ESP lumbar disc prosthesis is designed for the treatment of degenerative disc disease (DDD) in the lumbar column. Disc condition is evaluated based on the convergence of data from clinical examinations and imaging.
The LP-ESP® lumbar disc prosthesis is a medical device for primary treatment.
Between the 2 titanium end-plates the elastomeric parts are injected for
controled resistance to compression, flexion and rotation. These elastomeric parts are concentric and their fixation prohibits micro motion. The materials used for the implants have been tested for biocompatibility according to the ISO standard 10993.
• Minimally invasive anterior approach which allows reduced hospital stay and improves rehabilitation
• LP-ESP tested up to 40 million cycles
• ESP should give a significant reduction in pain severity, re-establish lumbar curvature and natural disc functions
• ESP allows quick return to normal daily activities
- Lazennec, J.Y., et al., Clinical results, radiological kinematics and effects on sagittal balance of the 6 df LP-ESP lumbar disc prosthesis. Spine J, 2014. 14 (9): p. 1914-20.
Lazennec, J.-Y., et al., The LP-ESP Lumbar Disc Prosthesis: Concept, Development and Clinical Experience. Arthroplasty – Update. 2013.
Lazennec, J.Y., et al., The LP-ESP ((R)) lumbar disc prosthesis with 6 degrees of freedom: development and 7 years of clinical experience. Eur J Orthop Surg Traumatol, 2013. 23 (2): p. 131-43.
Download Our Surgical Product Guides
Specific and streamlined instrumentation
LP-ESP – Retractor kit
Retractor kit made of carbon fiber to allow radiolucency.
LP-ESP – Specific introducer
Opens the intervertebral space while introducing the prosthesis.
LP-ESP – Specific instrument set
Specific instrument set for optimal Implantation of the LP-ESP lumbar disc replacement.
LP-ESP : watch the surgical technique
Talk to our expert team today about our product range.
World Leading Innovation in Orthopaedic Surgery